ABOUT POLYTECHNIC COLLEGE ADMISSION
Polytechnic Colleges in the state provide diploma education through 45 Government Polytechnic Colleges, 6 Government Aided Polytechnic Colleges and 10 Self Financing Polytechnic Colleges. 20 Diploma Programmes in Engineering/Technology and Commercial Practice/Management are conducted in these Polytechnic Colleges. Special Diploma batches for the Hearing Impaired students are also conducted at three Polytechnics namely Kerala Govt. Polytechnic College Kozhikode, Govt. Polytechnic Colleges Kalamassery and Women's Polytechnic College Thiruvananthapuram. Details of the institutions and Diploma programmes are available in our websites www.polyadmission.org and www.sitttrkerala.ac.in
Single Window System for Online Polytechnic Admission
Polytechnic Admission process is automated and conducted through a web based single window system. Application, design, development and implementation of the admission process are handled by Curriculum Development Centre by the in-house development team. The Centre has coordinated the admission process since 2008-2009. Initially a Desktop application was developed and installed in all the Nodal Polytechnic Colleges. Later the admission software was upgraded into a fully web based software in 2010-2011. The software is refined every year with new features and modules. This year we have incorporated the SSLC database with the admission software for getting SSLC marks and student details automatically. The software interfaces are user-friendly and simple, for ease of access to candidates. The continuous support, feedback and encouragement received from all stakeholders have helped us to improve the system tremendously. The software was designed by the Project Officer, SITTTR.
About 1.5 Lakhs applications are received for over 12500 seats in the state every year. Separate Rank Lists and Select Lists are prepared for each of the 14 districts.
Help-desks for Online Submission of Applications
Submission of applications online can be done from any computer with internet facility. Help-desks with internet facilities are arranged in all the Polytechnic Colleges for assisting candidates in all aspects of admission including Online Submission of Applications. Any information regarding the polytechnic admission can be obtained from the Help-desks.
ABOUT STATE INSTITUTE OF TECHNICAL TEACHERS TRAINING & RESEARCH
The Curriculum Development Centre is the only centre of its kind established by the State government of Kerala under the Technical Education department with the aim of promoting Technician Education. It is situated in its own campus at Kalamassery in Ernakulam district, and continues to function as the flagship centre in this arena.
The center started functioning in 1990 mainly catering to the needs of Polytechnic Education in the state. At the time of its inception there were only 3 Polytechnics in the state. As the importance of Technician Education was recognized the world over, the felt need of producing world class diploma holders become important and urgent. The infrastructural development of Polytechnics up gradation of curriculum became inevitable. Thus regular curriculum revision, its effective implementation, the associated training of educators, academic monitoring, development of learning materials & lab manuals became essential functions of the curriculum development center. Gradually as the National skill development mission, MHRD and other departments and agencies started focusing their attention on increasing technicians and skilled manpower in the country, the mandate of the of the Centre also expanded to other aspects of developing Skilled Technicians in the State.
To maintain quality of technical education responding to evolving technological and social and Industrial realities.
The State Institute of Technical Teachers Training & Research strives to
- Implement state of the art guidelines for academic programs to promote global standards within technical institutions
- Mould socially conscious, environmentally sensitive and technically competent technologists
- Meet the growing challenges of business, industry, commerce and the society as a whole.
- Best teachers are national assets.
- Effective teaching learning process needs quality learning resources.
- Curriculum is the backbone for quality education.
- Well designed curriculum needs effective implementation too.
- Industry requirements do not wait for curriculum changes.
- Technical skills need support life skills.
SITTTR extended its operations to other Institutions such as Government Commercial Institutes (GCI), Government Fashion Design Institutes, Technical High Schools (THS) Institutes offering Certificate courses such as Fire and Safety, Printing Technology and so on. The Curriculum development, training related to its implementations of these Institutions and framing of rules and regulations as per the changed scenario in the Technical education sector had to be taken up by the SITTTR.
The increase in the number of applicants in the state for Polytechnics [1,30,000 against the 12,500 seats available] forced the Department of Technical Education to consider conducting the admission process in an online manner which would make the process effective and transparent. Consequently a web-based, online system was developed indigenously by a staff member from within the Polytechnic community itself. The program developed could be replicated for other departments as well.
The activities of the SITTTR include:
- Revise the curricula of the existing diploma and certificate programmes periodically on a scientific basis as per the technological advancements and responding to the latest market requirements.
- Organize Faculty development programmes including Content Updating Training, Life Skill Training, Professional Management Development Training and Hands-on Skill Development Training for the faculty of the 49 Polytechnics in the state.
- Conduct the Academic Monitoring of 43 Govt. and 6 aided Polytechnics in the state through curriculum implementation and assessment norms.
- Conduct Faculty development programmes for the 19 Govt. Commercial Institutes, 10 FDGT Centers and 39 Technical High Schools.
- Conduct Admission for over 10,000 seats in 49 Polytechnics in an online web â€“ based manner. The software for the same was developed by a faculty member from the Polytechnic at SITTTR. On-line admission for the Part-time Diploma (evening) is under consideration.
- Conduct feasibility studies on starting new Polytechnics in the Govt. sector.
- Develop Lab manuals, learning resource materials for effective teaching learning process.
- Support the JCTE by developing Question papers and Model question papers.
- Identify Equivalence to the programmes offered by other Organizations.